We’ve recently launched a food and water delivery program to distribute life-saving food to people living unsheltered in San Diego. Thanks to a generous donation from local philanthropist Gwendolyn Sontheim, and partnerships with the San Diego Sheriff’s Department, Regional Task Force on the Homeless, and numerous outreach teams, we are able to not only distribute food and water, but to have conversations, with the hopes of connecting them to services.
Program volunteers receive cold, non-perishable meals to deliver 2 meals per day, per person. For example, on Monday, the distribution center personnel provides 4 meals per person to cover 2 meals for Monday and 2 meals for Tuesday. Individual volunteers and volunteer teams will receive the amount of meals based on the estimated number of people they will potentially reach in one day.
If you would like to volunteer or if your organization is interested in becoming a beneficiary, please email Drew Moser at email@example.com.
Requirements to participate:
- The individual or a volunteer team must pickup the meals
- Meals and water are for unsheltered homeless people
- These meals cannot displace any existing meals
- Outreach workers need to enter meals distributed into the mobile app (provided) so coverage and efficacy can be tracked
- Must pick-up Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. If you are unable to pickup, you must provide one week’s notice
- All meals must be distributed all meals each day
- COVID-19 regulations will be in place so be sure to bring your mask and gloves and be prepared to wear them for food pick-up and also throughout the delivery process.
If you’d like to learn more about the program, watch our Executive Director live with the San Diego Union Tribune or check out this article in the San Diego Union Tribune. We understand that volunteering time is not an option for everyone. The food and water delivery program relies heavily on donations. If are able to share your luck in this way, please visit our donation page.
Together, we can ensure the well-being of our unsheltered neighbors while helping them move from the streets to shelter, housing, and a healthier place in life.